[asterisk-dev] Voicemail mod

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Tue Feb 24 17:04:37 CST 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, John Lange wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 22:40 +0000, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is my first post to the -dev list, so be gentle.
>>
>> A customer has been complaining forever about the "fast forward" function in
>> voicemail.  He often mashes '#' several times to skip forward quickly to the
>> end of the message, and therefore is often exited from voicemail because '#' is
>> also the "exit" key if he forwards past the end of the message.
>
> I like the idea behind this patch but just to let you know, the proper
> way to skip the message would be to press 6 (or 7 to delete) rather than
> mashing the # button.
>
> Never the less, this is still a good idea.

He is not trying to skip the message entirely - he is trying to get to the
end of the message (as it is customary for a long winded person to leave
their phone number only at the *end* of a message, for example).  To skip
over all the long windedness you use '#' to fastforward 3000ms at a time.
But if you hit it too many times you will be past the message, into the
main menu, and the next thing you hear is "Goodbye!" :)

My patch makes it impossible to fastforward past the end of the message.
You basically get stuck at the last three second segment.  This fits with
the functionality of '*', which fast rewinds 3000ms at a time, as if it
gets to the beginning of the message it also gets "stuck" there rather
than doing something unexpected...

Cheers,