[asterisk-dev] Asterisk scalability

Kaloyan Kovachev kkovachev at varna.net
Sat Feb 21 05:00:44 CST 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:00:28 -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote
> John Todd wrote:
>
> > Hypothetical: My big router receives a 10gpbs ethernet from "the
> > Internet".  Then, that router has three 1gbps interfaces that feed
> > into my Asterisk box (which has three NICs.)  Thus, all of the traffic
> > appears to come from the MAC address on the distant side of the 10gbps
> > link.  I could generate the traffic from a zillion different
> > endpoints, so hopefully UDP port hashing would work.  Would this work
> > appropriately for spreading load on 802.3ad?
>
> If your 'big router' has three NICs connected to you, it will have three
> MAC addresses for those NICs, and that's what you will see on your
> incoming packets, not the MAC address of the router on the other side.

Not always. If 802.3ad is used it will be the same MAC (by design) on all
interfaces. In Linux - the one of the first interface which is joined to the
bonding device and goes up. For the other bonding modes, that can be used even
with switches that do not have 802.3ad support - your statement is correct.