[asterisk-dev] What development environment is needed exactly for starting

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Feb 19 03:30:39 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 01:54:05PM -0800, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I would like to start in the development, what exactly the needed to
> be installed at my Fedora machine to be able to start the development?
> Which tools?

For distributions with a decent Asterisk package (Debian, Fedora as of
8 or 9, not really sure), Ubuntu (quality of package varies, but
generally works), FreeBSD (IIRC the Asterisk port is generally
maintained Gentoo (?) (There seems to be a rather lagging ebuild of
Asterisk), the first thing you should be able to do is rebuild the
asterisk package of the distribution.

Rebuilding a distribution package is normally a rather automated
procedure. The build dependencies of Asterisk don't change that much
between different versions (though new optional dependencies keep
getting added).

One gotcha here: most distribution build systems don't separate between
real build dependencies and optional build dependencies. Asterisk will
build res_snmp is you have net-snmp on your system. Thus this gets
listed as a build dependency. But most peole don't need it and couldn't
care less if it wasn't built. [0]

Furthermore, when it does build you have one working case to start from.

[0] This is not intended to imply that res_snmp is not useful or
whatever.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com