[asterisk-dev] manager event conversion strategy (was: oej: branch oej/managergames r174538 - /team/oej/managergames/)

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Feb 10 10:15:11 CST 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Johansson Olle E wrote:

> Well, I wanted to avoid that. The idea was to first make sure that
> we could produce the same result on the manager interface,
> not change any syntax at all in Manager 1.1 because of this change.
>
>> From a performance point of view, it would be very easy to add a
>> compiler flag which turns the calls of manager_event() into nothing
>> if
>> you don't want support for the old system.  However, keeping the code
>> there means we can keep the old code around for backwards
>> compatibility purposes for some period of time.
> I think you assume that we can't produce compatible output on the
> manager connection...

You're right.  I would be happy to be proven wrong, though!

I guess my main concern is that I don't want to compromise quality of
the new interface for the sake of making it exactly backwards
compatible with manager 1.1.  Given the work that was done to improve
consistency in manager 1.1, It may not be an issue.  We'll see!

>> I would also like to point out that there is already a branch in
>> team/
>> group called "manager2" that was started by Mark Michelson for this
>> same project.  We should sync up with him on what work he has in
>> there
>> so that we're all working together toward a common goal.
>
> Absolutely. I only have README-ware at this point. Where's his
> docs? :-)

The docs are probably in his brain.  :-)  I'm sure he'll speak up
shortly ...

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead