[asterisk-dev] 1.4 and CDRs -- The Breaking Point

Venefax venefax at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 04:40:32 CST 2009

Your statement about Freetds is untrue. I hired Frediano Ziglio of the
Freetds team to work with Murphy and he did not find any problem by tracing
the driver. Furthermore, it can be proven that Freetds works fine since I
use AGI and Perl to the same job that slows Asterisk to a halt. There is
like a bottleneck in Asterisk. When the amount of calls to a func_odbc
driver goes above 10-15 per second, the rate of calls to the database versus
calls to func_odbc starts dropping dramatically. I call that constipation.
Please ask Steve Murphy about the case. The only way to make it work is to
call a Perl script that opens and closes a connection to the database for
each call, which is absolutely inefficient and makes me use a very expensive
SQL machine. The mechanism to share the connections to SQL, called
"pooling", is flawed. Just picture it this way: Asterisk cannot handle more
than 20 queries per second to the database using func_odbc, while I can get
to 100+ calls per second using AGI and Perl. I have not reached yet any
upper limit using Perl. I think that we need to redesign the entire ODBC
technology from scratch.
Federico