[asterisk-dev] 1.4 and CDRs -- The Breaking Point

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Fri Feb 6 09:03:20 CST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 14:10 -0700, Steve Murphy wrote:
> In short, I'm finding the current CDR system is too difficult
> to maintain. I'd rather spend my time rewriting the system
> into something that works as advertised, is simple to use,
> meets user's expectations, and can be maintained and
> understood without an advanced post-doctorate degree.

Murf, I've commented on this topic many times before and as usual you
have my full support. Proper call logging is a fundamental requirement
of a softswitch/PBX system IMHO.

> I have promised to do what I can, but this can't go on.
> I'm applying bandages to an architecture that needs to
> be rebuilt to get things right.  This is *software*, and
> yes, I can fix *every* problem, but the cost
> is way beyond what's reasonable.

Some have argued the entire Asterisk code base suffers from the same
problem (see FreeSwitch).

By the way, before anyone gets in a twist; the above comment is not
intended as a troll. Just pointing out that sometimes starting over is
not as bad as it seems and can create positive results.

John Lange