[asterisk-dev] 900 second call drop - 420 Bad Extension error w/ SIP, IOS GW

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Dec 21 09:36:00 CST 2009

Greetings,

I've been trying to track down an odd issue I've seen in versions
after 1.6.1.4 (including 1.6.2).

We have an IOS gateway that connects us to the PSTN for performing SIP
inbound/outbound termination.

What we see is when a call originates on the PSTN (so comes in the PRI
and is handed to Asterisk) after 900 seconds the call is dropped.

I'm not sure what is triggering this exactly. I've looked at SIP traces and
getting the exact nuance sorted out is tough, but what I see is something
similar to this:

    -- Got SIP response 420 "Bad Extension" back from x.x.2.115
  == Spawn extension (verio-int, 600, 4) exited non-zero on 'SIP/dns.name.hidden-00000064'

The actual message received is usually something like this:

SIP/2.0 420 Bad Extension
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP x.x.27.16:5060;branch=z9hG4bK21db1330;rport