[asterisk-dev] Compiling asterisk as single binary / minimalist OS

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Dec 20 03:44:03 CST 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 09:37:07PM +0000, Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:
> Can anyone offer any advice on "rolling my own" OS for a turnkey
> asterisk installation ?.
>
> I want to be able to give my IT staff a system where in case of an
> emergency, all I need to do is to get the techs to just drop a cd in,
> and reboot. The rest takes care of itself.  Our current system uses
> curl for realtime config, so all critical data is retrieved from a
> webserver.
>
> I need to have some custom changes to the .conf files and some .c
> programs.  I am thiniking of building asterisk as a static file,

That hardly save you any disk space or memory. OTOH, Asterisk has
asterisk.conf to allow you to specifiy exactly what comes from where.
Check out contrib/scripts/live_ast on how to easily create a
self-contained Asterisk "installation"

> but
> can I do that with libpri and dahdi-linux / dahdi-tools ?

That would be more tricky.

> Basically, I want to do an asteriskNow / PBXinaflash etc , but with my
> own stuff (config files etc).
>
> I've got as far as a custom kickstart file for centos / fedora, but I
> need all the development files because I still have to compile.

That's because you don't use binary packages. First step[0] is to use a
reproducable build.

E.g.: http://updates.xorcom.com/iso/ . Includes pre-configuration of an
Asterisk system to keep asterisk-gui quiet and to detect the hardware we
throw at it.

[0] There's an initial step before that: ditch any trace of FreePBX. Or
at least until they drop their hostility to decent packaging.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com