[asterisk-dev] SIP URI checking in chan_sip.c

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Dec 1 10:12:52 CST 2009

1 dec 2009 kl. 15.44 skrev Tilghman Lesher:

> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 06:17:08 Nick Lewis wrote:
>>> INVITE, with a space in both the From: and Contact: headers. I posted a
>>>
>>> long an detailed report here about 24 hours ago.
>>
>> It would be good if we had a parser for incoming sip messages that
>> strictly complied with the ABNF in RFC3261 & RFC2234. I have come
>> across http://www.nongnu.org/bnf/ that may be able to generate the
>> code automatically (not tried). Any non-compliance to the ABNF
>> should be responded to with a "400 Bad Request"
>
> For strict RFC compliance, sure.  Just remember that we value interoperability
> above strict RFC compliance.

One of the strenghts we have is that we have really lazy parsing, we don't parse until we need things. Most SIP servers try to do that. Having a very strict parser would propably make sure that our issue tracker would overflow with issues where Asterisk can't communicate with devices in use out there. We try to promote interoperability and be strict in what we send and gentle in what we accept - Jon Postel's rule.

/O