[asterisk-dev] How is an SLS assigned?

tian tian00di00 at live.com
Thu Aug 13 07:22:36 CDT 2009

Dear all,

I am learning SS7 standards recently. I got confused with the Signaling Link
Selection (SLS) field in MSU's. I know an SLS is used for traffic
distribution among signaling links, but how does an SSP assign SLS's to its
outgoing messages?

Is an SLS of only local significance or is it necessary for two adjacent
signaling points to used the same SLS value for messages exchanged on the
same signaling link (If this is the case, how do they negotiate the SLS
value to be used)?

Hope you guys will kindly give me some hints or refer me to some materials
that clarify my question, thank you very much and I do appreciate your help!

Tian