[asterisk-dev] 1.6.0.13: sounds 1.4.14, but rc2 was 1.4.15

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Aug 12 11:46:37 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 12 August 2009 04:40:02 Russell Bryant wrote:
> sean darcy wrote:
> > 1.6.0.13:
> >
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/asterisk/asterisk-1.6.0.13/sounds'
> > --20:56:18--
> > http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telephony/sounds/releases/asterisk-core-s
> >ounds-en-wav-1.4.14.tar.gz => `asterisk-core-sounds-en-wav-1.4.14.tar.gz'
> >
> > but in 1.6.0.11-rc2 it used 1.4.15.
> >
> > Any reason for this change?
>
> Yeah, it has to do with the release numbering becoming a bit confusing
> due to an unexpected security release.
>
> 1.6.0.11 was in the RC state, and then we had to make a security
> release.  We didn't want to call it 1.6.0.11, as it doesn't include all
> of the bug fixes that were staged to be released as 1.6.0.11 as
> indicated by the release candidates.  So, instead, we went to the next
> version number.  There was a build error with 1.6.0.12, so it became
> 1.6.0.13.
>
> Now, we'll push out a 1.6.0.14-rc1, which will be a continuation of the
> release candidate series that was originally going to be 1.6.0.11.
>
> Hopefully that makes sense.

Actually, Russell, I think he's asking about the asterisk-sounds release
moving back a version, not the Asterisk versioning.  The reason for the
-sounds release staying at 1.4.14 is that the 1.6.0.13 release is an
EXACT copy of 1.6.0.10, plus the security fixes.  That is, we don't change
anything else in a security release, from the previous full release.  Given
that 1.6.0.11-rc2 was not a full release, but merely a release candidate,
the changes introduced in that version won't be seen in a security release
until there's been a full release with those changes.  The version of sounds
tarball is indicated in the sounds directory Makefile, which is not something
that typically changes during a security release.

--
Tilghman & Teryl
with Peter, Cottontail, Midnight, Thumper, & Johnny (bunnies)