[asterisk-dev] XML-RPC dialplan interface (was: European Asterisk Developer's Meet-Up: Last Call)

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Apr 29 08:50:14 CDT 2009

Nir Simionovich wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>> On Tuesday 28 April 2009 15:28:19 Nir Simionovich wrote:
>>> 2. Adding an XML-RPC requester application to Asterisk - this is really
>>> complex. I've got some preliminary design, but again, I'm a little
>>> stomped as to where to begin.
>> I'd love to hear how you've been progressing on this since AstriDevCon '08.
>
> That's exactly the problem, I hadn't. Real life and lack of some proper
> kick starting kind'a got me stuck, so I hope the EuroDevCon will allow
> me to kickstart this thing back.

You say this is really complex.  I agree.  Furthermore, these issues
have already been figured out a number of times for other programming
languages (perl, python, whatever ..).  So, my question is, given that
you can already handle this fairly easily in your programming language
of choice and return the results to Asterisk via AGI, why is it worth
the development effort to re-implement as a native operation for the
Asterisk dialplan?

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead