[asterisk-dev] Avoiding RTP flows (new topic)

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Apr 23 09:52:10 CDT 2009

Benny Amorsen wrote:
> Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> writes:
>
>> Asterisk *cannot* *work* the way that a *proxy* works.
>>
>> It is not a proxy.  The difference here is an essential, a conceptual
>> one that translates into the very basis of the respective programmatic
>> architectures and runtime characteristics.
>>
>> Asterisk can be optimised.  It can't be ontologically redefined.
>
> I must admit I don't really see the point of SIP proxies. They can be
> used for authentication, but Asterisk is doing ok at authentication.
>
> A HTTP proxy gives you NAT-traversal and caching; it primarily helps the
> media get through efficiently. What good is a SIP proxy?

A SIP proxy can do that too.

I suppose that apart from being an intelligent routing decision point,
there aren't that many uses for pure proxy elements, but the thing is
that almost none of them are.  They have some UAS capabilities as well.
  OpenSER is certainly quite heavy on that.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems