[asterisk-dev] Pedantic

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Apr 15 12:10:33 CDT 2009

David Hansen wrote:
> What exactly is setting pedantic useful for?  What conditions would warrant setting this to yes?
>
> David Hansen

Basically, you can think of the pedantic setting as being one that is important
to SIP purists or those who do make use of more advanced/less used nuances of
the SIP protocol.

For instance, RFC 3261 plainly spells out that the way to identify whether an
incoming message belongs to a specific dialog is to check the call-id, to tag,
and from tag. With pedantic mode disabled, all we look at is the call-id because
in the majority of situations, the call-id is suitable for identifying which
dialog the request belongs to. However, if you know that tag checking is
important, then it will be enabled by turning on pedantic mode.

There are other RFC-mandated operations which will only occur if pedantic mode
is enabled. Typically, the reason why we restrict these operations to when
pedantic mode is enabled is because it is a lot easier/more efficient not to
perform the operations and because in most cases things work fine without
performing the operations.

Mark Michelson