[asterisk-dev] RTP trunking - 58% savings on media bandwidth?

mctiew at yahoo.com mctiew at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 03:56:44 CDT 2009

I search the mail archive and come across the idea of reducing RTP overhead :-

http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-dev@lists.digium.com/msg35070.html

I would like to mention the idea of muliplexing multiple calls trunking into the same destination thereby saving header, has already been implemented by some commercial entities. Natural Microsystems ( now part of Dialogic Intel ) has implemented such a scheme which they call it Trupacket (?). They never release their spec, but the implementation is only multiplexing the Media streams, and is de-coulpled from call control, meaning one could be using SIP call control but Trupacket media stream. This is contrast with IAX which include both call control and media stream.

Regards