[asterisk-dev] default format for sounds

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Sep 22 17:48:38 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at sippysoft.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>> 2) The licensing of the sounds is unclear, but I'm pretty certain that
>> they are not available under the same terms as the Asterisk source
>> code (and probably never will be).
>
> Can we keep licensing and technical issues separate?

In the Free software world, these two issues can't always be separated.

> Personally I don't
> see why sounds cannot be licensed under the same terms. Sounds for
> astesisk is just like for example icons for Apache, it's nice to have
> them as part of the same package.

In theory sound files *can* be licensed under the GPL.  Unfortunately
in the case of Asterisk, they *aren't* and from what I know of the
politics behind the scenes it's unlikely that the sounds will be
available under such an open license when the sounds do receive a
proper license.

At this point in time Digium just needs to get *some* kind of license
statement on the sounds, it's just annoying to be in this position
where there's no license at all.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"