[asterisk-dev] default format for sounds

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Sep 22 13:42:29 CDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:

> Which will be the default format?

Actually, I vote that *NO* sound files be distributed with the
Asterisk tar ball, for the following reasons:

1) Everyone will want something different as the "default".
2) The licensing of the sounds is unclear, but I'm pretty certain that
they are not available under the same terms as the Asterisk source
code (and probably never will be).

One could argue that including the GSM versions in the Asterisk
tarball without a specific license statement means that they are
available under the same license as the rest of the Asterisk source
code, but that's probably not the case.

Because of these licensing issues Fedora cannot provide sounds for
Asterisk.  I have to manually strip the sounds from the Asterisk tar
ball before building Fedora packages of Asterisk and packaging the
rest of the sounds is a non-starter.

I've prodded Digium a number of times in the past about these license
issues but there's been no resolution so far.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"