[asterisk-dev] default format for sounds

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Mon Sep 22 13:08:36 CDT 2008

John Todd wrote:
> I agree that "highest quality" should be distributed, then allow each
> site to descide what other versions to create as  pre-encoded
> libraries of sounds.
>
> However, that has to be weighed against download size for "default" configs.

I think that distributing prompts with more that 8 kHz sample rate is
pointless, since we are dealing with phone systems here and they are
99.999% 8 kHz or less. And at 8 kHz even signed linear is not
prohibitive large for download. For those who need better quality for
whatever reasons, Digium can probably consider distributing high-quality
prompts as a separate package.

Regards,
--
Maksym Sobolyev