[asterisk-dev] Storing SIP Registrations in a Database

Daniel Watkins daniel.watkins at credativ.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 06:42:28 CDT 2008

Hello all,

We're currently trying to work on high availability of Asterisk for one
of our customers.  A major part of this involves redundant servers,
which are causing us some problems.

The setup we are planning on using has, unsurprisingly, a primary and a
secondary server.  When the primary server goes down, DNS switches to
pointing at the secondary server, which allows the system to continue
working as before.

Unfortunately, when this switchover occurs, all the clients lose their
registrations as the registration details are stored solely in memory on
the primary server.  It then takes some time for the clients to
reconnect to the secondary server, during which time they are unusable.

A solution that we are considering is the storing of the SIP
registrations within a database which would be replicated from the
primary server to the secondary server.  This would allow Asterisk on
the secondary server to use the registration details that were extant on
the primary server.

Unfortunately Asterisk does not, as far as we can see from examining
documentation and source code, support storing SIP registrations in a
database.  It is certainly possible, as openSIPS is able to store its
registrations in a database.  We would prefer, however, to do this from
within Asterisk, rather than using a SIP proxy.

So is there any code that we may have missed that does what we want
within Asterisk?

And, if no such code exists, would there be an interest upstream in
accepting a patch we might write to do it?

Thanks,

Dan

--
credativ ltd         UK office:  +44 1788 298150
PO Box 3868          Direct ext: +44 1788 298152
Rugby                Email:      daniel.watkins at credativ.co.uk
CV21 3WW             Web:        http://www.credativ.co.uk/

credativ limited is registered in England & Wales, company no. 5261743
registered office: Suite 2 Bloxam Court, Corporation Street, Rugby CV21
2DU