[asterisk-dev] New license for db?

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Mon Oct 27 07:50:06 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Vasil Kolev <vasil at ludost.net> wrote:
> В 13:51 -0500 на 26.10.2008 (нд), Russell Bryant написа:
>> ----- Johansson Olle E <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
>> > It seems like Oracle has changed the license for Berkeley DB
>> > http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/htdocs/oslicense.html
>> >
>> > Does this license work for us? Should we upgrade ast_db?
>>
>> If we were going to update astdb, I would rather go with sqlite3.  In
>> fact, most of the work to do this has been done for a long time.  Josh
>> has it sitting in a branch.  I think all that is left is writing a
>> tool to upgrade existing databases, and a final review.
>>
>> If there are reasons to use something else in the upgrade, we should
>> definitely consider them, though.
>>

> How hard would it be to have AstDB use the same mechanism as, for
> example, realtime? Is there a point in two separate database interfaces
> in asterisk, as they will be essentially the same.
>
> Then you can just share drivers between them and set up for example ODBC
> storage for the astDB and postgresql for the realtime, or SQLite for
> both, etc, etc.

I would propose the following steps:

1) Implement realtime in existing db access functions as additional
realtime class
2) Write SQLite driver for realtime (if there isn't any)
3) Set up samples to use sqlite, so people have it in default configurations.
4) in next major version set default values to SQLite driver, allowing
fallback to Berkeley (empty value in extconfig.conf)

I could volunteer to implement first step, as i have some experience
with adding realtime, so this seems not hard to me.

Regards,
Atis

--
Atis Lezdins,