[asterisk-dev] chan_sip protocol questions

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 04:25:35 CDT 2008

Hi,

1) I had an issue that is already fixed which allowed fromuser and
fromdomain to be correctly set in REGISTER requests.
(http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=12474) I mention this because it
relates to 2)...

2) It there any reason why per-peer fromuser and fromdomain are not
used in OPTIONS peer-poke packets? It seems that there is a specific
override to cause it to default to global-fromuser and
global-fromdomain in sip_alloc(). More generally, why would we ever
NOT use per-peer fromuser and fromdomain when we are sending data in a
peer context?

I have a 6-line patch which causes fromuser/domain to be used in
peer-poke. Let me know if I should put it on the bugtracker.

3) As I understand the RFC, a REGISTER has 2 purposes. One to say "I
am here" in terms of IP address, and one to say "I have the following
numbers (URIs) that I can handle for you". First I have found an ITSP
who really does not like the asterisk default of "s at ip-address" in the
Contact: header. Strictly speaking, they want to see either no contact
header at-all, or a contact-header for each DDI on the account. What
they want is completely reasonable within my reading of the RFC. Is
"s at ip-address" necessary for some application, or is it just a random
asterisk default?

I need guidance on this one. Should it be changed, and if so, how
should it look in sip.conf?

I have one random thought that the "/exten" parameter could be
extended to allow "/@peer", and then [peer] section could then have
zero or more contact= lines to map to zero or more exten values for
the Contact: header(s)

Thanks,
Steve