[asterisk-dev] SIP TCP/TLS, release policy and more (personal opinions included)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Oct 20 11:04:23 CDT 2008

Johansson Olle E wrote:

> I think we're in disagreement there. As you know, I've been heavily
> involved
> with the SIP channel during many years. It is important for me to
> distance
> myself from this work that I do consider as broken. Even though UDP
> mostly
> works, the changes are so big inside the SIP channel that I'm still not
> convinced that it is up to par with the 1.4 stack. As long as I am not
> sure
> of that, I do reserve the right to consider the stack broken. I do know
> that you have another opinion, and respect you for that.

Also, the changes that have gone into chan_sip *after* 1.6.0 are much
larger and much more invasive than the TCP/TLS changes were, and they
directly affect the existing UDP support. We need to be very careful
here when saying that the TCP/TLS code might be the reason for the
current known (and unknown issues), when the testing was done using code
that has moved far beyond the 1.6.0 release already.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies