[asterisk-dev] Asterisk at SIPit23 in Lannion France

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Sun Oct 19 02:42:15 CDT 2008

Friends,
Kevin and I spent one week at SIPit 23 testing Asterisk 1.4 and trunk/
1.6 in a series of test. We also got a lot of time to discuss the
problems with the TCP/TLS implementation.

- Tests over UDP had no major issues with our SIP compliance. There
was a couple of problematic issues in 1.6.0/16.1 and trunk code that
now is fixed. The first day every test with these versions generated
crashes due to untested or not well thought of changes in the chan_sip
code. These bugs where fixed quickly and after that things worked very
well. 1.4 tests were in general boring on our side, while other
clients, specially those that where still in early development phase,
had a few more challenges. It felt really good that we've turned the
situation around and spent more time pointing out errors in other
implementations than finding signalling errors in our code.

- The TCP implementation worked in some tests, but a code review (as
seen in the code) revealed a lot of wrong assumptions, bad code and
got us to agree that this code was integrated prematurely and was in
general poorly adopted to the SIP standard. We need to do more testing
and code review to make sure that we still have the same functionality
in UDP as in the 1.4 version. I believe there's some issues in regards
to the outbound proxy support that will need changes.

My participation in SIPit was funded by my company, Edvina, and
Digium. Digium paid all the direct costs and I donated a week of my
time in order to help the project.
A big thank you to Digium for their support and also for sending Kevin
for a week. Tt was much more effective being two to discuss issues and
solve them, we could also run many more tests. Participation in SIPit
is important both for testing, but also for building a network in the
SIP industry. It does help the efforts to make Asterisk a much better
product for everyone.

/O