[asterisk-dev] CSTA - Worth looking at again?

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Wed Oct 15 20:16:58 CDT 2008

[This has come up a few times over the last 4 years on this list and
others, but it has never before had enough people look at it who
understood perhaps what the benefits were, so I drag it out again
here for your amusement...]

Would a CSTA interface (or in a variant, uaCSTA) be a useful API
layer for Asterisk?  Would some of the PineMango goals be workable
with a CSTA method as the "language" portion of the communication?
Or would it merely be a monolithic module that would talk to the API
components as a discrete consumer/producer of messages to the various
components?  I'm largely ignorant of the details of where the API
discussion would layer into what something like CSTA could offer -
feel free to say that these two concepts are non-intersecting and
I'll drop it.

Regardless of CSTA's role in a potential "next-generation" fruit-like
API project, it still bears examination as a potential interface for
other Enterprise-ish platforms.  Microsoft's OCS/LCS Platform uses a
variant of uaCSTA over SIP, as does Avaya, Cisco, Mitel, and
others(?- need a list).  Of course, I'm not so interested in those
legacy PBX platforms, but the tools that third-party companies are
producing to bolt onto them are what sound like has some value.
Creating a CSTA interface to Asterisk would allow quick grafting of
"industry standard" tools onto an inexpensive and flexible OSS
back-end.

Comments?

Base page:
   http://www.ecma-international.org/activities/Communications/TG11/cstaIII.htm

Here's an introduction (194kb):
  http://www.ecma-international.org/activities/Communications/TG11/CSTAoverview.pdf

This seems to be some of the documentation (4mb, 767 pages!):
  http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-269.htm

CPAN module for CSTA (incomplete - Phase I only - need Phase III)
  http://search.cpan.org/~leifj/Net-CSTA-0.04/lib/Net/CSTA.pm

JT

--
John Todd