[asterisk-dev] 1.6.0 jabber (client mode) SSL connection

Brendan Martens brendan.martens at crosscomm.net
Wed Oct 8 11:47:57 CDT 2008

My asterisk 1.6.0 isn't able to authenticate to my apple iChat server.
The ichat server requires an SSL connection for clients, I set the
"usetls=yes" in jabber.conf but it still doesn't like it. Here is the
error in the apple server's jabber log:

error: SSL handshake error (error:140760FC:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:unknown protocol)

And here is my jabber.conf (cleared out the sample comments for
readability):

[general]
debug=no
autoprune=no
autoregister=yes

[servant-jabber]
type=client
serverhost=servant.crosscomm.net
username=asterisk at crosscomm.net/asterisk
secret=password
;priority=1
port=5223
usetls=yes
usesasl=yes
;buddy=mogorman at astjab.org
;status=available
;statusmessage="I am available"
timeout=15

The port setting is correct, it is what I use for normal clients. The
asterisk user does exist, I am able to authenticate via asterisk user
with the iChat client.
Turning sasl on or off doesn't seem to make any difference.

After googling around this seems to be a fairly common issue when
doing some sort of SSL authentication.

Is this a bug or am I missing something important in my config?

Brendan Martens