[asterisk-dev] Calendaring API

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Oct 7 18:05:59 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Terry Wilson <twilson at digium.com> wrote:

> I have created a public branch at
> http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/twilson/calendaring
>  that contains my work on a Calendaring API for Asterisk.  It
> currently has modules that include both iCalendar and Microsoft
> Exchange calendar support.
>
> Features: ${CALENDAR_BUSY(<calendar>)} dialplan function to make
> dialplan jumps based on calendars busy status
>          Device state provider so phones can subscribe to a calendars
> busy status
>          Event notification through a Channel and application or
> context and extension (similar to pbx_spool)
>
> So, the idea is that you can, instead of creating lots of GotoIfTime()
> or time-based includes, just create a calendar (Google Calendar,
> Zimbra, Exchange, whatever), with your schedule, business hours,
> holidays, etc. and just jump in your dialplan based on the busy state
> of the calendar.  Also, I tend to be bad at remembering meetings--so,
> the notification ability will allow you to place calls to notify you
> of an event.  Data about the event is available with the $
> {CALENDAR_EVENT()} function, where you can get information like the
> summary, description, start and end times, location, etc. of the
> event.  Couple that with res_cepstral and you can have Asterisk read
> you the event information if you would like.
>
> Anyway, I'd like some feedback and testing--so if this interests you,
> please check it out and give me some feedback on how it works for you
> and what improvements I need to make.  (libneon <
> http://www.webdav.org/neon/
>  > is currently a build requirement, as is libical <
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeassociation/
>  > )
>
> Terry

Completely OT and slightly relevant.

Several times a year, I see a new app or functionality and say "Wow, this is
really cool".

I would like to see something on Asterisk.org to nominate and then vote on
the "Best New App", "Best Contribution", "Most Active", or whatever gives
developers more credit where it is certainly due.

Put them out as awards and recognition, rather than hidden away in
bugtracker or in the code and release notes.

Further, to have any meaning, it cannot be like TMC's "Telephony Product of
the Year" that includes everything and everyone under the sun.

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro