[asterisk-dev] Using ReviewBoard to review work in developer branches (caveats)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Nov 26 15:04:00 CST 2008

So after working on some stuff in developer branches, and seeing other
developers fighting with getting their patches posted in a way that
actually includes all the content, we've found a workaround today.

If you are working on code in a developer branch and want to get it
posted for review, today your only option is to merge those changes into
a clean checkout of the baseline branch and then use 'svn diff' or
'postreview.py' to create the diff. However, if your developer branch
contains *new* files, the diff won't include them!

This is because the merge operation computed by 'svn merge' in this case
is actually a copy of the file from your branch to the baseline branch,
and svn diff does not show the contents of copied files.

The workaround (until we find a better one) is to 'svn revert' each
copied file in that working copy, then 'svn add' it again. When you
generate a diff after these steps, the new files will be included in the
diff.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies