[asterisk-dev] Policy regarding CHANGES and UPGRADE files in Asterisk branches

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Nov 19 07:11:18 CST 2008

While merging the agi_multiple-api-fix branch into trunk, 1.6.1 and
1.6.0, I've found that apparently the contents of these text documents
are not well understood, and that developers are putting entries into
the wrong files. I'll reiterate the policies for what these files should
contain:

UPGRADE.txt (and any files it refers to) must contain entries for every
change that an upgrader *must be made aware of*. This is generally due
to the change forcing configuration changes, providing
non-backwards-compatible behavior, or something similar. In other words,
it's the 'if you are not going to read any other documentation while
upgrading, at least read this one' file.

CHANGES must contain entries for all user-visible functionality changes
not already listed in UPGRADE.txt.

As to why one of them has a 'txt' extension in the file name and the
other doesn't, the reason for that is probably lost in the mists of time :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies