[asterisk-dev] Reverse Inheritance

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Wed Nov 12 16:24:26 CST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 10:50 +1300, Matt Riddell wrote:
> On 12/11/2008 9:48 p.m., Grey Man wrote:
> > I'd vote for +. That way next year when passing around one variable
> > evolves to become passing around groups of variables objects could be
> > invented and the + could become ++ and then we'd have C++ ;-).
>
> I guess if it can only be used in set.  I just wonder if someone might
> read my extensions.conf and assume I'm incrementing a value before using
> it or something.

I hope it's not too late to throw in my 2 cents on this subject...

I highly, highly, highly recommend NOT using syntactic indicators
that will control inheritance. Special naming conventions like
underscores before or after do not harm anything; but using
what could be construed as operators will play havoc with the
existing expression parser. Don't extend operator syntax into
object names; it will limit what operators we will be able to use
in anything that has to deal with those names.

Like I said, using underscores doesn't extend or change the rules
for parsing names, so that's OK, but almost anything else will
have unintended effects that will be negative.

murf

--
Steve Murphy
Software Developer