[asterisk-dev] Reverse Inheritance

Trevor Peirce tpeirce at digitalcon.ca
Tue Nov 11 11:26:05 CST 2008

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2008 23:07:19 Trevor Peirce wrote:
>
>> I would strongly advise against this as it starts to resemble math too
>> much and could misleading. As an alternative I suggest appending _ to
>> the variable name in contrast to prepending.
>>
> If the plus sign sounds too much like math, which is an objection I can
> understand, how about using the caret sign ('^'), which is another character
> that Jared Smith suggested in our discussion

The caret did occur to me as a possible solution as well, but it is
already used to pass multiple values to some Dial options such as
G(context^exten^pri) and M(x[^arg]). Again, it would be confusing to
have multiple uses of the same character.

As I am not a C programmer the coding inconvenience wasn't apparent to
me. Perhaps another potential idea would be to add an option to the
existing naming scheme?

Forward inherit: _blah or __blah
Reverse inherit: _+blah or __+blah

I think this sufficiently resolves the confusion that it could be a math
operator as the inheritance operator is still there.

Regards,
Trevor Peirce
--
Does your Canadian VoIP service need CRTC-compliant 9-1-1 service? Stop
by http://www.digitalcon.ca/voip9-1-1/ today to find out how!