[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed May 28 12:14:13 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:38:18AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> Which developers, specifically, are contributing to Asterisk today, who might
> feel that this change merits abandoning this project?  To date, I have heard
> on this list from 3 vocal users, who to the best of my knowledge haven't
> contributed a single line of documentation or code back to the Asterisk open
> source project.  If that characterization is incorrect, please let us all
> know.

Here's my favorite argument: you haven't contributed to *my* project,
so your opinions don't count for anything.

Tilghman, I've been a developer and designer, on primarily DBMS based
applications, for over 20 years.  When I say "comma is a poor choice
for a delimiter, in almost all cases", I really am not pulling that
opinion out of my ass, whether I've contributed a line of code to
Asterisk or not.

But it seems acceptable for developers on a project to take that point
of view "since you haven't contributed any code to *my project*, I
won't even examine the assertion you make, even though a valid argument
supporting it has been put forth by yet another user".

It's not just you; lots of FOSS project developers do it.

That doesn't make it right, or good.

As for that gent who raised the issue, clearly, he is positioned to
best have an opinion on it: he didn't write the code, he uses the code.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)