[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed May 28 10:33:22 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 07:41:28PM -0400, Donny Kavanagh wrote:
>> Since you asked here is a quote from you
>>
>> <snip>
>> Time for John Todd to step up to his new role.  Maybe keep Mr. Lesher in check.
>
> And that's an attack on which of those people?
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra at baylink.com
> Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates     http://baylink.pitas.com                     '87 e24
> St Petersburg FL USA      http://photo.imageinc.us             +1 727 647 1274
>
>             Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
>             Those who count the vote decide everything.
>               -- (Joseph Stalin)

The only thing I can see being construed as a "personal attack" is
"Maybe keep Mr. Lesher in check." but I feel he was not representing
Digium properly.

Essentially, he was saying Digium's way or the highway, fork, go away,
I don't care what your opinion or thoughts are...

Most organizations have an official spokesperson to handle situations
like these and others are not really supposed to take official stands
on sensitive issues.  I thought that was JT's role but he quickly
corrected me.  Obviously Digium is not that structured which is good
to an extent and bad to a further extent, more quality devs will move
over to Callweaver just stop developing or signing over their code to
Digium if this is the case.

I don't think it is wise to have a developer crossing into a spokesman
position when that is not his job.  Speak to the merits of why the
decision was made only, do not imply directly or indirectly that
developer's and user's opinions and thoughts are going to /dev/null
(even if they are).

Tilghman was directly showing through his posts the opposite of what
JT stated was his position and therefore Digium's position.  Mixed
signals from a company are a very bad thing, they should be on the
same page and have the same philosophy.  Maybe a big mission statement
banner might help!

I will post it again.  Quote from John Todd:

"My job as Community Director is to know the members of the development
community outside of the Digium staff, to understand the issues and
work towards harmonizing (or at least listen to) the various opinions
on code issues and roadmap concepts, and to function as an interface
between Digium and the large group of coders who appreciate and
contribute to Asterisk.  The work that Digium does on Asterisk is of
great value to the community (and almost inversely, Asterisk is of
great value to Digium) but Digium is only a portion of the equation -
we (Digium) need to work to continue to integrate the code
contributed by the community, the concepts brought to us by users,
and to resolve the problems that may arise with the rapidly changing
areas of complexity in which Asterisk is now proving to be essential
to the telephony applications market.  There is much still to be
done!  Digium can only provide a portion of the effort - it's up to
the rest of the community to create the rest of Asterisk."

Thanks,
Steve Totaro