[asterisk-dev] Time for a bug fix phase?

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Tue May 27 17:39:22 CDT 2008

I just want to put my thoughts out there regarding the current state of
the code base specifically related to a couple of bugs I've been having
problems with.

They are:

Call Logging:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=10052 (June 07)

BLF/Line status:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=0011093 (Oct 07)

It seems to me that these are both pretty significant bugs that have
been hanging around for a long time. I personally didn't start to
encounter them until recently when I was finally convinced to upgrade
some clients to 1.4.x.

>From the prospective of our clients the inability of Asterisk to show
the (BLF) status of a phone, or the inability to know what calls came
into the system due to broken logging makes the system seem
"immature" (as one client put it).

I realize that the urgency of any given bug is highly dependent on how
it directly effects any given person and I'm not trying to impose my
pain points on others. I simply want to express my concern that there is
about to be another new major version (1.6) that contains significant
known bugs that have been around for a while. I listed the two which are
bothering me the most at the moment but I'm sure there are others.

I expressed similar concern with 1.4 before it was "forced" out the door
and the resulting instability caused the uptake of 1.4 to be very slow.
As I understand it this is a problem which we don't want repeated in
1.6.

Unfortunately I'm not much of a C programmer and I don't have much time
for development so the patches I've contributed so far are pretty basic
but never the less I'm going to try and dig into at the logging issue to
see if I can't get something working.

Regards,
--
John Lange