[asterisk-dev] OT: Mailing list etiquette and "attacks" [was Re: Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database, yada yada]

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue May 27 17:16:33 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 05:24:53PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Donny Kavanagh <donnyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Disagreeing is fine, personal attacks on community members is not
> > that's the difference.  Its fine to argue about a concept or an idea,
> > or a plan to change something, but don't make it personal, as that is
> > when things get ugly.
>
> Can you point out examples where there was a personal attack?

I concur with Steve, Donny: please, go back over the thread, and see if
you can find a single instance where a poster made a comment that could
be construed as an attack on *a specific, identifiable person*.

Let us know what that is.

Telling someone "you're wrong, and this is why", is *not*, as much as
some people may believe otherwise, an attack.  Even if, as some people
might have (had they been paying sufficient attention), someone
asserted that I was Appealing to Authority in my assertions that "|"
was a better delimiter than ",", that would not have made that
assertion an "attack".

So please, instead of appealing to vagueness, go back, look; tell us
which attacks it is you mean.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.