[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Tue May 27 17:14:51 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 16:50 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> So, let me see if I have this right, Bill:  Russell is right in saying
> that we have to have our disagreements in public, but he's wrong
> because disagreeing (in public) is not "behaving"?
>
> :-)

No, you've got it all wrong!  (OK, I'm joking too...)

On a more serious note, though, I have to point out one thing that I
strongly feel the need to address.  (Before I get started, however, let
me point out that I'm not talking about any one person in particular
here, I'm just responding to Jay's comment as it was convenient to
respond to.)

Public disagreements on the technical aspects of Asterisk itself are one
thing (and I might even add a healthy thing, given the size and breadth
of the Asterisk community), but having the discussion degrade into
personal attacks doesn't do much (if anything) for the advancement of
Asterisk.  If anything, it only hurts us all.  One of the reasons I
*like* the Asterisk-Dev list is because of the high signal-to-noise
ratio.  If the ratio changes, I'm less likely to want to read the posts
and take part in the discussions.  (For a graphic example, watch the
attacks on the -biz list.)  I don't want anyone to feel that they don't
have a voice in the discussion, but it would be my sincere hope that the
community members would show a little restraint and self-discipline when
it comes to personal attacks.  Having been the Community Relations
Manager for Digium up until very recently, I'd hope to think that I'm
not the only one with this view, and even though I've taken on a new
role at Digium, I hope that we can continue to have vibrant
communications and a strong productive relationship between the people
writing code for Asterisk (both inside and outside of Digium) and the
community members at large.

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager