[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Thu May 22 16:32:53 CDT 2008

On 5/22/08, JR Richardson <jmr.richardson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So I'm guessing pipe processing has been deprecated or possibly this is a
> > > bug?
> >
> > Removed.  Comma is what most people are used to using in extensions.conf,
> > and has thus been made the authoritative delimiter.
> >
> > > The problem is that 1.2 (which i still use in production) behavior
> > > requires a | for the separator in the appdata fields for ARA database
> > > operation due to ',' being a end of field indication for the database
> >
> > I don't understand this.  Character type fields are all enclosed in quotes,
> > and commas are fine embedded in fields.
> >
> Curious, when was '|' removed? 1.4 or 1.6?
>
> The ',' used inside of a database field is not a real problem for the
> database once it's there, the issue arises during import/export
> operations to and from the database.  This has a great potential to
> screw up the database, one bad csv import and all hell breaks loose.
> I'm sure this is why 1.2 ARA used pipes.  To have to change all
> provisioning, documentation, methods for importing, just to upgrade
> from 1.2 to 1.6 will be a considerable effort, plus it will have to be
> a hot-cut for my database, almost not worth doing.
>
> I'm not opposed to commas at all, but if it were at lease backwards
> compatible, I could gradually remove the pipes from my database over
> time.  I have allot of database and allot of pipes in that database.

I found this on the wiki about the pipes in ARA:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+RealTime+Extensions

------snip-----
Note on using Goto and GotoIf in the extensions table (and DIAL!)

When using a Goto or GotoIf or Dial command you may only use '|' in
the app_data field of the command and not ','. For example, the
app_data field must take the form of context|s|1 and not context,s,1.
Or if using dial, it should be SIP/user|60|Tt, not SIP/user,60,Tt.

Cheers,
Matthew... and now Phil too.

So apparently the necessity to use pipes in 1.2 is no longer a
requirement for 1.6.  All I'm saying is that a little backwards
compatibility would be nice for transition purposes.

Thanks.

JR
--
JR Richardson