[asterisk-dev] Upcoming work on console_video support
rizzo at icir.org
Thu May 22 13:17:06 CDT 2008
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 04:08:04PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> Hi all,
> just so you understand what is the point of some commits you might see,
> I wanted to give a bit of information on what we are doing here in Pisa,
> mostly related to console and video console support for Asterisk.
> Our long term goal is to make asterisk usable as a flexible client
> for audio and video. So in the short term we are working on the
> following items:
> 1. make asterisk run as a firefox extension.
> This is actually already working right now, and incredibly
> simple to implement. I am polishing the (small) changes to chan_oss,
> and then will add proper links to the external wrapper to handle this.
If someone wants to give this a try, the wrapper to run asterisk
(and other graphic apps) within firefox is available at
In order to run asterisk in a window:
- build asterisk with console_video support.
You need to have installed the following packages:
then apply this patch to channels/Makefile
--- channels/Makefile (revision 117400)
+++ channels/Makefile (working copy)
@@ -102,6 +102,7 @@
$(if $(filter chan_oss,$(EMBEDDED_MODS)),modules.link,chan_oss.so): console_video.o vgrabbers.o console_board.o
+console_video.o vgrabbers.o console_board.o chan_oss.o: ASTCFLAGS+= -DHAVE_VIDEO_CONSOLE=1
chan_usbradio.o: ./xpmr/xpmr.c ./xpmr/xpmr.h ./xpmr/xpmr_coef.h
chan_usbradio.so: LIBS+=-lusb -lasound
- install asterisk, and copy images/kpad2.gif and images/font.png
- modify oss.conf adding the following at the end:
keypad = /tmp/kpad2.jpg
keypad_font = /tmp/font.png
- test asterisk running from the command line 'asterisk -vdc'
you should see the gui coming up.
- install app-wrapper.so into ~/.mozilla/plugins
- write a file ~/.mozilla/plugins/app-wrapper.conf with this content
application/x-asterisk:ast:embedded asterisk: /path/to/asterisk -vd
- create a local file /tmp/a.ast - it can be empty
- start firefox and point it to file:///tmp/a.ast
- for more info read the instructions at
More information about the asterisk-dev