[asterisk-dev] H323 64 bit Nightmare

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu May 22 12:08:43 CDT 2008

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Alex Balashov wrote:
>> Venefax wrote:
>>
>>> I work on a virtualized environment and only 64 Bits is supported by the
>>> collocation provider. I have to stick to 64 Bits and get to the bottom of
>>> this. I am sure somebody made H323 compile before in 64 Bits. I cannot be
>>> the first unlucky guy in the planet.
>> It's definitely possible.  I just question whether it's worth it.
>>
>> My experience with 64-bit breakage is that it's generally never worth
>> it.  You'll take years off your life.
>
> That's absolutely groundless FUD. According to my experience almost
> everything compiles/works our of the box on amd64.

My experience has been the opposite, but admittedly I do require a lot
of legacy / compatibility libraries.   It may be groundless FUD, I will
gladly concede.   But that is not what I have seen nor what I heard from
other sysadmin type colleagues, so I just offered it as perspective, in
the same way that everyone else offers theirs.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems