[asterisk-dev] Zaptel project being renamed to DAHDI

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Wed May 21 04:02:37 CDT 2008

In article <935ead450805202155j46d90ba7s9b21c1bb86ec5dc4 at mail.gmail.com>,
Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Tilghman Lesher
> <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
>
> > was a practical one: given the length of kernel release cycles
>
> Uh, what?  The Linux kernel releases a new version every 3-4 months.
> Between 2.6.24 and 2.6.25 there were over 750K lines of code changes:
>
> $ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> $ cd linux-2.6
> $ git diff --shortstat v2.6.24..v2.6.25
>  9738 files changed, 777371 insertions(+), 404514 deletions(-)
>
> I fail to see how that could be described as "lengthy".

That is not the relevant factor. Most Asterisk systems are not built on
the latest bleeding-edge kernel, they are built on a stable distribution
with a long release cycle (e.g. RHEL, CentOS, rpath, etc). This is where
the inertia is, which I agree makes it more sensible to build Zaptel/Daddy
separately.

Cheers
Tony
--