[asterisk-dev] Zaptel project being renamed to DAHDI

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon May 19 22:05:13 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Tzafrir Cohen
<tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:34:59PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:

> I presume that "will" here is in future tense. Not ready yet.

>> > I get an access denied page when trying to access this.
>> >
>> > Jeff
>> >

>> Access denied
>>
>> We apologize, however, you are either not authorized to access the
>> requested page or an account is required to view the page.
>>
>> Bass Ackward again.  Why no more Zaptel?  Troubles with Jim Dixon?
>
> Not with Jim Dixon. Again:
> http://blogs.digium.com/2008/05/19/zaptel-project-being-renamed-to-dahdi/
>
> http://zaptel.com/
>
> It turns out they have been selling, well, a different type of Zaptel
> cards for quite some time. And they have a registered trademark for the
> name Zaptel.
>

>> Is it going to be core dahdi show channels???
>
> No. It will probably be s/zaptel/dahdi/ and s/zap/dahdi/ . So we'll
> probably have 'dahdi show channels'
>
> (unless you prefer to stick with a three letter shorthand: 'dah show
> channels') ;-)
>
> --
>               Tzafrir Cohen
> icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> +972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> http://www.xorcom.com  iax:guest at local.xorcom.com/tzafrir

As long as I can hit tab, I don't much care.

That is an unfortunate situation.  It will certainly be an undertaking
to change all the code, reference material, and everything else out
there.  It also kind of breaks up the history of Asterisk.

I guess something like "DAHDI" is pretty much a safe bet to not be
trademarked whereas almost everything that is not some sort of unique
acronym is taken.

I am surprised the trademark holders of Zaptel were not more
aggressive, that was pretty kind and understanding to let it go on for
two years, since as pointed out, searching for "zaptel cards" (or
zaptel anything really) certainly would cause confusion.

DAHDI.COM is already taken.  Dang!