[asterisk-dev] Driver support for Dialogic DNI cards

Dwayne Hubbard dhubbard at digium.com
Thu May 15 16:01:06 CDT 2008

----- "Darren Nickerson" <darren.nickerson at ifax.com> wrote:

> Dwayne,
>
> I think I might have a clue as to why chan_dialogic was abandoned ...
>
> we're a close Dialogic partner and I know for certain that
> chan_dialogicdiva (which I believe is based on chan_capi) is being
> actively developed by the team in Germany. In fact, Dialogic
> themselves are looking to enter the asterisk market in a big way, but
>
> it's not with the DNI cards any more (if it ever was, I'm going on
> what the original poster suggested might have been going on at one
> time). Instead, it's the Dialogic Diva Server boards that they're
> promoting for use with chan_dialogicdiva.
>
> We have a bit of information up on this at
>
> http://www.telephonydepot.com/Articles.asp?ID=134
>
> Perhaps the new company (post acquisition) decided to focus on the
> diva server boards because they already had excellent CAPI support,
> which would allow them to leverage an existing channel driver without
>
> reinventing the wheel?

It would certainly make sense for Dialogic to reconsider all of their projects after the Dialogic-Eicon merge.  I apologize, but as a former-Intel and current Digium employee I'm not at liberty to provide more details regarding chan_dialogic decisions and since I've never been an Eicon employee I cannot speculate on chan_dialogicdiva strategy decisions.

They may have decided to focus on Diva server boards, at least for their first release, because the traditional Dialogic springware, dm3, and hmp blades are not listed as supported boards in the chan_dialogicdiva technical specification.

-Dwayne.