[asterisk-dev] Reintroduce deprecated applications

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue May 13 18:11:49 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 16:04:09 Jared Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 22:49 +0200, Johansson Olle E wrote:
> > What about changes to AMI? We can't possible keep the old at the same
> > time as the new, then we need two code bases...
>
> As I understand it, Tilghman's proposal only covers dialplan
> applications, and makes no provision for AMI changes or source-code API
> changes that often (and many times must) change between major releases.

Correct.  If we had removed AMI, the proposal might apply, but changing the
Manager interface is fair game for moving forward.  Basically, the idea is
that if restoring an application that requires minimal maintenance will make
some people a little happier, then I don't see why we should resist that.  API
changes are still not on the table, no matter what (although we are working
on better documenting those changes, to make it easier for people to modify
their applications to work with newer versions).

Note that if you contributed an application to the core or to addons, we will
make those changes to your application concurrent with the API changes.
Consider the Linux kernel, whose internal APIs change even between minor
releases, though modules that are included with the kernel will be maintained.
Modules maintained outside of the kernel (like nVidia's closed source graphics
drivers) may or may not break between releases, but the kernel developers
make no assurances either way.

Try taking a random kernel module maintained outside of the tree from 2.2
and try to run it in a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel and it's virtually guaranteed that it
won't even compile, let alone work.

--
Tilghman