[asterisk-dev] MFC/R2 Asterisk Channel Driver

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Mar 29 22:53:46 CDT 2008

Fernando Romo wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2008, at 11:54 PM, Denis Galvão wrote:
>
>> There are three companies producing R2 boards in Brazil:
>>
>> Digivoice: www.digivoice.com.br
>> Khomp: www.khomp.com.br
>> Pika: http://www.pikatechnologies.com
>>

> Don't forget Dialogic, expen$ive cards with Linux support:
>
>      http://www.dialogic.com/products/tdm_boards/media_processing/Diva_PRI_E1_T1_8.htm?techspec=1&regID=8434
>
> I read about asterisk support  with this cards but, has a license
> model for each trunk line.
>
> Somebody has work with this cards and asterisk?
>
> This cards resolve any signaling issue by hardware/firmware
> (ISDN,R2,SS7,etc.) and count with DSP and co-procesor in each board .
>
> Maybe we need to analyze how this cards work to help us in a R2
> signaling by software with hardware DSP DTMF control model.

I would not recommend using Dialogic cards for MFC/R2, unless they have
greatly improved their implementation in the last couple of years. I did
the early testing of my Unicall MFC/R2 code against Dialogic cards, and
even in the early stages their end was giving more problems than mine.

Dialogic don't actually do all the signaling work on any of their card.
They do the tone generation and detection, but most of the protocol work
takes place on the host, in the GlobalCall libraries. They have been
moving towards a more host based solution, but I haven't used used their
recent stuff to know exactly what its like.

Again, there is no benefit whatsoever in doing the tone generation and
detection on the card. Dialogic only do that for historical reasons, as
their cards date back to the days of 33MHz 486 PCs and ISA slots. Most
people, like Pika, and now moving most of their signal processing onto
the host, where things are a lot more flexible.

Regards,
Steve