[asterisk-dev] MFC/R2 Asterisk Channel Driver

Luis Antonio Prata Barbosa luispratalistas at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 03:15:01 CDT 2008

> Doing the tone detection on the card is not an issue - its such a
> lightweight process. I was told none of the locally produced cards has
> echo cancellation, though. Is that right? If so, its a huge drawback.

Echo cancellation is really a heavy cpu load issue...

But sometimes I think about doing it in hardware:

1) For example, is a 600MHz DSP faster than a 2GHz dual xeon ? I know  DSP
has multi-level pipelines, MACs and Harvard bus... but anyone know if there
was a well coded (SMP) application using dual cores and reserving one entire
core for DSP purposes to let us to compare performances ???

2) A cost of a xeon is lower than the majority of echo cancellation
solutions hardware based I know. PCs has market scale, Moore law, and
software solutions could be really open code !

3) Embedded this code using proprietary hardware seems to be change players,
but still having high costs and hidden code.

Thats my opinion.

Luis A P Barbosa