[asterisk-dev] MFC/R2 Asterisk Channel Driver

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 20:57:24 CDT 2008

>  Hello -
>    So let me distill what isn't explicitly
>  mentioned, and correct me if I'm wrong: You're
>  going to submit your code for MFC/R2 use back to
>  the Asterisk project, and under the terms and
>  license agreements that would permit it to be
>  used in all versions of Asterisk?  And there are
>  no components that are externally licensed or
>  required, meaning your software is/could be
>  completely distributed inside of Asterisk as a
>  full solution?

Sorry for not being clear. That is correct. My code no has no direct
dependencies on other software beyond libc. The only indirect dependency
is that my code requires the user (in this case Asterisk) to provide
function pointers
to routines for the multi frequency tone detection and generation. I
reviewed the routines
on main/dsp.c and I think that they can work just fine, probably they
would require a bit
of tweaking though.

>    That being said and asked, I would suggest that
>  it appears inside of chan_zap, since it by
>  definition will be talking with the Zap cards for
>  communications with the physical layer.  Perhaps
>  older versions were removed because of the
>  license issues, but it does not seem to be
>  consistent with the current channel delineations
>  to have it as it's own channel.

I feel the same. Just want to be sure Asterisk devs feel that is the way to go.

>    Testing this code presents another headache,
>  since many of the testing folks for Asterisk live
>  in ISDN worlds and R2 is not common.  Do you have
>  a testbed, or do you know a lot of R2 people in
>  the Americas or central Asia who might be able to
>  test different versions?

For the past year I have giving support and adapting the chan_unicall
driver written by Steve, during this time I have made good relationship with
many people in México, Colombia, Brazil and Argentina. I think I would not
have any problem finding people on those 4 countries to test it.

>  I'd love to see R2
>  included as a part of Asterisk - there have been
>  several occasions where I needed it in the past
>  and had to jump through hoops to get it working
>  (or not.)

Hopefully this will happen soon.

Moisés Silva

--
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the
death your right to say it." Voltaire