[asterisk-dev] SMDI on 1.6.0-beta5

Bill Sofko wills at wildwood.edu
Mon Mar 10 11:48:11 CDT 2008

>Bill Sofko wrote:
>> 1) Load up a collection of msg. desk terminal to Asterisk channel
>mappings
>> that I'll put into smdi.conf. I had thought about doing the mapping in
>the
>> dial plan as you're doing with the forwarding station, but decided to go
>
>If the message desk terminal identifier is present in the message, then
>why can't Russell's proposal to let you search for messages by that
>identifier do the job?

Perhaps I have misunderstood Russell. If he's proposing that he'll simply
add a function that searches on message desk terminal, then you'll get no
objection from me as I'll gladly trade the time of making a couple of
modifications to my dial plan for that needed to code up the requisite c
code :-). I was thinking that he was suggesting the modifications as
something I could do. As I was looking at what was needed I thought it not
hard to add the mapping code directly, which makes the dial plan interface
cleaner.

>Please keep in mind that 'channel' in Asterisk means much more than just
>chan_zap; if the calls arrives over SIP or IAX2, then there cannot be
>any static mapping to channel identifiers, as they aren't predictable in
>that fashion.

I do recognize this fact, which means, too, that SMDI could not be used in
an auto attendant setting as we use it if calls were coming in over
anything but chan_zap. As such, the functionality I'm looking for would
make sense only in a situation where there's a legacy system needing
integration, which I would guess is the majority of the cases (though I
was surprised to see SMDI and SIP combined as you and Russell described).
I know that our Fujitsu switch will only handle SMDI over analog lines (at
one point I was hoping to use PRI for the connection) and I believe Cisco
Call Manager is the same. So, I (wrongly) have my head in the mindset that
SMDI is a legacy-only technology :-\.

Bottom line: I understand your rationale in wanting the mapping in the
dial plan scripts. I can work with this just fine and am happy if Russell
is coding the additional function. If he's not, I'd be happy to do this
work.

Thanks, again.

- Will

--