[asterisk-dev] documentation to MediaWiki?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Mar 9 13:43:31 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 07:52:41PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > MediaWiki has won the wiki war.  The universe of people who know how to
> > use it reasonably fluidly is at least 2 orders of magnitude larger than
> > anything else, and maybe 4 or 5 -- I don't really like to throw around
> > numbers like that without proof.
>
> If you like it so much, use it. Convert a number of (text / tex) articles
> to it, or write new ones. And use the toolchain you want others to use.

Noted.  Gimme a month to get settled in my new job.

(Yeah, I know... :-)

> A number of points to note:
>
> # Lists formatting is not as nice. I don't understand how to get lists to span multiple lines. Anything obvious I'm missing?

You want *list items* that span multiple lines?  You can either put
and they'll wrap magically.

> # I don't fully understand how the intend to handle documents that span multiple articles. Can you include one document into another?

This happens at the "pulling articles out to convert them to
$INTERMEDIATE_FORMAT (docbook, or what have you)" time.

You make articles be articles, and then you tie then together in, say,
a Table of Contents document, and you feed *that* to the crawler that
does your conversion.

> # I can't fine a simple way to just include verbatim text.

<pre> works, and there's also a <nowiki> for doing inline examples of
wikimarkup.

> Debian seems to have the package libtext-wikiformat-perl, but I can't
> figure how to make it work:
>
>   $ perl -MText::WikiFormat -e 'print Text::WikiFormat::format("* hi\n\n* bi")'
>
> Err... wikimedia insists on showing that as one indented/verbatim
> paragraph and two bullets.

Steve Gerard is currently the go-to guy on "what the parser does when
you feed it weird crap".

But if you're assuming the perl module will parse the way MediaWiki
does... well, I'd be surprised.  And remember, there are about 100
different wikitext formats... :-)

> So unless you prove me wrong by actually using using wikimedia wikitext
> sytax in a useful way, I vote against it.

For actual humans to interact with actual documentation?  ;-)

I'll do my best.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.