[asterisk-dev] BRI support in chan_zap of asterisk 1.6?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Mar 5 14:00:37 CST 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:35:36PM +0100, Klaus Darilion wrote:

> >> Cool. Which cards are supported? I guess there will be new zaptel
> >> modules too for BRI cards - e.g. there is zap_hfc in bristuff for the
> >> HFC cards.
> >
> > BRI Cards with Zaptel interfaces.  You can use the bristuff Zaptel
> > drivers to test.

Specifically: the zaphfc/vzaphfc drivers work for HFC-S single-span PCI
cards. The qozap driver is mainly for Junghanns duo/quad/octo BRI
devices (should be renamed qodzap?), but also works (with some minimal
patching) for the bero.net cards, and also seems to work for cards of
other vendors.

You can also use the Sangoma A500. They should be able to work with
Zap/BRI. Theoretically one could write a Zaptel driver for the Digium
B410P BRI card as well.

and, of course, the BRI module of our device.

> Ok. Will there be zaptel bri drivers from digium as well (e.g. for the
> digium BRI card)? If not, why was this featured added at all if I still
> need zaphfc/... from bristuff?

While all the drivers I mentioned (besides our own) are not inside
Zaptel), the patch required to Zaptel is really minimal:

  http://updates.xorcom.com/astribank/bristuff/1.4/bristuff-current/patches/zaptel/bri_dchan

It's basically a hack to replace the D channel which the Cologne chip
provides as "messages" to be as a "standard" Zaptel channel (so Zaptel
could waste extra CPU cycles in copying its bytes).

Zaptel 1.4 provides a better way to handle this - hardhdlc. But none of
the above drivers use it. Except the Sangoma drivers. And hence all of
them (Except the Sagoma driver) need that little bri_dchan patch applied
to Zaptel to build.

Yeah, I know. Our bad as well.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen