[asterisk-dev] Passing out-of-band data in PRI call setup?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 04:06:45 CST 2008

I'm posting this to -dev because I would expect that if what I'm asking
about is possible, it would require code changes to libpri and Asterisk
to achieve it.

Given two Asterisk boxes connected to ISDN PRI trunks, assuming that the
PSTN switches between them are compatible, is it theoretically possible
for one box making a call to the other to pass out-of-band data related
to the call as part of the call setup. Something like a sub-address,
extension number or other token.

The scenario I am thinking of is where one of the boxes makes two
simultaneous calls to the other box. The caller ID and called number
would be the same for both calls. I am looking for some way for the
called box to distinguish between the two calls, by having some kind
of token with each call. Is there any kind of IE in Q.931 that could
carry such a token and would be passed through intermediate switches
along with the call setup?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers
Tony