[asterisk-dev] remote call supervision

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Mar 4 10:18:05 CST 2008

Bob wrote:
> Currently there is no difference between loop start and kewl start in the
> receive direction in zaptel. In the transmit direction there is a provision
> for removing battery for ZT_KEWL_TIME when the near end hangs up. There is a
> recent hack patch that has made its way into the trunk branches that alarm
> the span or channel when there is no battery. This patch is OK, but it
> shouldn't be used to detect far end disconnect.

That isn't the reason these changes were made. They were made to help
people who have occasional line outages, or ports configured that don't
have lines plugged, from having chan_zap attempt to dial out to deliver
a call on a port that cannot take the call.

> This requires modification to zaptel, and chan_zap. I'm asking that someone
> at the big D, just go ahead and do this instead of messing with all the
> small patches and headaches.

If you want to have someone implement what you are talking about, you'll
need to more fully describe what the protocol is, how the state machine
should be modified, what timeouts are involved, etc. Just saying 'our
equipment will hangup on its own' doesn't mean much to us, since we have
no idea who 'Bob' is or what 'our equipment' is.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies